#OnePlaceCelebrations: Sion Floral Bazaar 1926.

The second floral bazaar…

Following the success of the first floral bazaar in 1902, Sion Baptist chapel decided to host a second one in 1926. Henry Barnes, whose name was later taken in vain as 'would never have allowed this' (see blog of 8 December) was no longer Sunday School Secretary.

The bazaar was held over four days in October 1926, 'in aid of the work of the Church and Sunday School'. The aim was to raise £800 it install Electric Lighting in the Church and Sunday School, repair and renovate the premises, remove the church organ and clear the existing church debt of £150. It is interesting that the decision to install electric lighting was taken then rather than when the Sunday School was built in 1902 as that building was equipped with electric bells between the various rooms and the main hall. One wonders to what extent they were ever used.

This target of £800 was considerably less than the £1500 it was hoped would be raised by the first bazaar and the scope and scale of the bazaar was reduced as well. There were four main stalls plus a flower stall, compared with five in 1902, tea was available but no choice of plain or meat and no hot supper and no Geisha cafe. A smoking room was available but without the advertising of choice tobacco and cigars for sale. Entertainment was reduced to a range of concerts (secular and church choirs and a 'young men's minstrel troupe') and a magicians parlour.

There were some standards though - smoking was only permitted in the smoke room and there was to be no raffling.

Each day started with an opening ceremony and the hymns were the same as in 1902:
'Oh God our help in ages past.'
'Sing to the Lord a joyful song.'
'When His salvation bringing, to Zion Jesus came.'
'Triumphant Lord, thy goodness reigns.'

Interesting that they were felt to be appropriate 24 years later.

Another thing didn't change - it was still 2d to go to the loo.